Friday, July 9, 2010

_______ sure is a crazy bitch, but I love her.



EQUALS




I've pretty much been listening to Annie Lennox's Diva all day, since I woke up this morning. I woke up and found I had left my iTunes on shuffle, and had simply turned off the volume instead of pausing it. So I turned up the volume and the song that was playing was "He's a Tramp" sung by Peggy Lee on Disney's Lady and the Tramp soundtrack. Which is an odd, but strangely gratifying thing to wake one's self up to.

(This is, by the way, on the heels of a dream in which The Light in the Piazza is taking place in London and Clara is singing "Portebello Road" from Bedknobs and Broomsticks while trying to escape the city, and when I finally do, I'm in a desert and it feels like Cher and Celine Dion are singing at the top of the dunes in front of me.... did I mention I have rather involved, unusual dreams? Because I do. I digress...)

So, once Lady and the Tramp was over, I made a move to go back and start it over and put the album on repeat because I was feeling it, only then, I had to stop. Annie's voice came on and I thought 'OK. I'll let this play for a minute, and change it after "Walking On Broken Glass"' but then I didn't. And why I didn't is pretty obvious:

Diva is a damn fine album. Start to finish.

I ended up putting it on repeat, and promptly listened to it 3 times fully through (I may have done some highlights also- "Walking on Broken Glass" about 47 times, and also "Little Bird" probably a good 33 or so). As I went about my life listening to the album, I started thinking

'I should write about Annie Lennox.'

And then I thought

'She sure is a crazy bitch.'

beat

'But I still love her.'

Like I mean, let's be honest. She's outspoken. She has an album named Diva. And that sticker she had on Bare explaining the picture and the concept of the album? She a crazy bitch.

All that said, I still love her. In fact, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that *most* of my favorite female artists were crazy bitches. Bjork? DEFINITELY a crazy bitch. Etta James? First crazy bitch of jazz & blues. Amy Winehouse? I mean, she's practically the poster child for Crazy Bitches, International.

Now there are exceptions. Dinah Washington? Not a crazy bitch. Beyonce? Heeeelllll nah, she's got her self together. And there are others.

In the end, I guess it doesn't matter, as long as the music is good. Annie's definitely is. And that's probably the best way to think about her- Crazy bitch or not, I'll still love her.

1 comment: