Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Proof of God (and the Virtues of Mexican Food)

Sometimes, as I go through my daily hum-drum life, I find myself pondering the deeper, yearning questions of existence. What am I here for? What is the nature of happiness? Will Lauryn Hill ever put out another album? Deep, unsettling questions.

Usually, these questions go unanswered. Recently, however, I was able to answer one. A big one. My question was:

Is there a God?

And the answer is: yes.


How did I come to this conclusion?

Sometimes objective truths are interconnected. If you find the answer to one question, it leads you to the answer of another question. Such is the case with the definite existence of God. By deductive reasoning, I figured it out. The proof that God exists is contained in the answer to another of life's terribly baffling questions:

What is the best ethnic cuisine?

And the answer is: Mexican.


It's a simple equation- The unbelievable amazingness of Mexican food proves that yes, YES, there is a God. AND, furthermore, not only does God exist, BUT s/he is a kind and benevolent God who loves us.

I know there are those out there who would claim that man created Mexican food and what if you're lactose intolerant and what about the whole Darwin/evolution thing, but the Truth is, Mexican food was given to us directly by God. The end, no questions. The argument then could be made that ALL ethnic cuisines could have been given to us directly by God, and I'll stand for that, but then if we're going to argue Proof here, then we should use Mexican, because it presents the strongest case. Here's why:

1) CHEESE.

omg omg omg. Cheese alone may prove God's existence. And in Mexican food, it's pretty much on everything (and those things it's not on, well, maybe it's about time we put some on them- cheesy rice? yes. cheesy tacos al carbon? hello, it's now like a fajita! cheesy ceviche? well, maybe not, but serve it with chips and put the cheese on the chips FTW!). Plus, it comes in endless varieties- queso, Monterrey jack, cheddar, American (at the cheap places, but still cheese is cheese, and God is God and cheese is directly related to God)- you can probably even get cheese in your dessert (I think the Italians might have done this better, but I'm sure SOMEBODY in Mexico does it).

I know some people are gonna whine and complain about "authentic" and whatnot, but sometimes it's better to be BETTER than authentic- and cheese clearly makes this possible. Also, the question of lactose intolerance, I say this: sometimes sacrifice is necessary to understand the Truth. An upset stomach is a small price to pay for the awesomeness of Mexican food/God.

2) Ambiance

Mexican restaurants SHOULD be brightly colored and well decorated (I had a little trouble with this, because I've been in some pretty bland Mexican joints and still felt God's presence, BUT I think, as a whole, the cuisine does a pretty good job at keep with a theme). You walk in and feel happy immediately because of all the colors and the smell of delicious fajita meat and onions grilling. You see all of the artwork of deserts or cacti on the walls. You hear and feel the sizzle of the fajita plates as they are zipped dangerously close to your ears as you are seated. Clearly, you are in heaven. And who dwells in heaven? Answer: God.

3) All Star Menu

There are dishes that have, in our multicultural world, crossed boundaries. To my knowledge, Mexican food has the highest profile when it comes to international adaptations. Tacos, Nachos and Quesadillas have achieved a level of fame only matched by the Egg Roll and Pizza. They are veritable missionaries of Mexican spreading the Good News. Can you think of a french dish as socially pervasive as a taco? No. How about a Thai dish? Ethiopian? I'm drawing blanks. And even some of the lesser known Mexican dishes are still pretty ridiculously popular- a/k/a enchiladas, fajitas, taquito's, and

4) MARGARITAS!!!

OK, seriously, like cheese, Margaritas are a winning argument for God in their own right. Back when s/he was making the world and Mexican food, God said "I want something to drink that is alcoholic, tart with a bit of sweetness. Bonus points if I can make it frozen" and lo, the Margarita came to be. And God tasted it, and knew that it was good. (I think they left this off the official 'creating the world' story because they didn't want the other cuisines to feel bad that they were not as awesome as Mexican) They're a little sweet, a little tart, a little limey, a little orangey, and a whole lot delicious. It makes sense that God has a hand in bringing this sublime concoction to be.


I still don't know what I'm on earth for. I can't tell you why some people are allergic to peanuts. I'll still never fully remember the Pythagorean theorem. But one thing I can say for sure is that, from the evidence presented here, a loving God who cares very much for us must be out there. If not, we would be a planet alone in the universe, carelessly spinning, futile, dark, and tacoless.

4 comments:

  1. I am incredibly thankful that Rachel sent me the link to your blog.

    Still hate Keesha, but still remember that drive extremely fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now I know why I always need that 2nd margarita. Not my fault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is bullshit! This is taco creationism! This will not stand, man...

    The transcendental nature of Mexican food does not prove that God exists. It proves that PEOPLE exist, and that when they're not busy killing each other or watching Paris Hilton on television they can make some pretty incredible things.

    ATHEISTS FOR TACOS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG COMMENTS! Nicole, Tom and Adrienne all get gold stars for commenting.

    Except Adrienne, for trying to disprove my clearly infallible logic.

    Good try God/Mexican Food hater. I've heard of you and your trickery, but til now I've never experienced it. Clearly, you have yet to open your heart and let God's true love flow over you like queso onto a tortilla. I will pray for your soul.

    ReplyDelete